first:
- eat locally. It is winter so this is well, less inspiring than when farmer's markets are spilling with heirloom tomatoes and vivid piles of berries. Regardless, I do believe that the ethics of minimizing transportation costs, supporting local farmers and also ensuring that the food I eat is nutrient rich and not shipped across the world is worth the challenge. To this end I have several amazing resources I've already found such as the Locavore Application on my iphone and amazing amounts of magazines, blogs and books with ideas which I intend to share with you. To define local, I live in Portland, Oregon I will always look to Oregon first for options and then next to Washington State and northern California...it seems to be that southern California is stretching it a bit. As the weather alters and there are more options simply in Oregon and Washington than I will limit my reach to this region.
- if I eat meat then I have to know it safe and humane
- for this month, god help me, but no alcohol. Its almost amusing to me how accustomed to drinking I have gotten. I don't even like it all that much. Being a daughter to an alcoholic and related to plenty more I never wanted the dependancy to slip its way in...and yet I see how it does it. So I will take it all out of my life for at least a month and 1) give my liver some recovery time and 2) notice what it changes in my life.
- commit to trying more in this month that is new so that I'm learning now...don't put if off to someday. So this month I'll start canning and making bread and pasta and just give it a good go. If I'm gonna do it, might as well do it well.
For the sake of what I intend to do with this blog, well I'm sure it will evolve and for now I think it is safe to say that I want it to be a place of planning and sharing resources and information. Recipes that work. Alternatives and ideas that support this way of life.
solid intro eh?
Courtney

No comments:
Post a Comment