Thursday, December 31, 2009

Roasted Citrus

So a friend just said "the Morrocans love to cook like this" so perhaps I'm new to the boat of simple cooking of citrus fruits but I am in love with this. I'm also IN LOVE with Clean Eating magazine, a random find in the Sacramento airport on my return from family Christmas. It really is a magazine focused on allowing foods to be as whole as possible and to cook purely. Finally i say!


I went to the awesome produce stand near my house, Uncle Pauls and picked up a bunch of the fresh citrus. (any will do that you have available: grapefruits, navel oranges, tangerines, kumquats, etc)

Then in a bowl I mixed the fruit with one vanilla bean (split and beans scraped out) and cinnamon and cardamom. Spread this out on a piece of foil on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Depending on how carmelized you want your fruit you may want to pan sear them as well when they are done. (apparently the juicier the fruit the harder it is to carmelize in the oven).

I took it to a friend's house for New Year's Eve and enjoyed it on top of some yummy ice cream, Haagen Dazs Five brand to be exact. Yummy! I'm also sure this would taste amazing with savory foods as well. I'm hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment