Monday, January 11, 2010

OH YES! Rich squash and chestnuts

A new favorite that I wanted to share. It comes from a piece Epicurious pulled from Bon Appetit's November 2008 magazine.

Roasted Winter Squash and Parsnips with Maple Syrup Glaze and Almonds

note: I made a double batch to feed two mouths over an extended period of time. The flavors are a fabulous rich mix with the sweetness of squash and nuttiness. I welcome you to alter the squash and nuts to match the local options you have.

Ingredients:
4 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled kabocha squash (about 1.5 pounds)
4 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled butternut squash (about 1.5 pounds)
4 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled parsnips (about 12 ounces)
10 tablespoons butter
1 cup pure maple syrup
4 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
about 12 chestnuts already cooked and prepared
1.5 cups chopped almonds

Preparation:
Butter glass baking dish. Combine kabocha and butternut squash and parsnips in a large bowl. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in next 5 ingredients. Add to squash mixture and toss to coat. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Take peeled chestnuts and crush with your hand and then add to the squash mixture. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing. (Well in my winter season kitchen I just put all the juice in with squash and let it sit. It was basically room temperature by the time I needed it.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover squash mixture with foil. Uncover; bake until all vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes longer. Add almonds (sprinkled or really mix them in) and bake 10 minutes longer.


I love this dish. I've been eating it served over plain quinoa which cuts the richness. It could just as easily be served with some sort of greens or perhaps even pasta or eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment